ALARO-1 Working days 2019
SHMI, Bratislava, Slovakia, 11-13 March 2019
Programme , List of participants
Synthetic Report and Plan
Piet Termonia: Introduction
Neva Pristov: Introduction to Working Days and short overview of last 2,5 years
Ján Mašek: ACRANEB2 - current status and plan
Ján Mašek: 3D radiation - why, when and how?
Ivan Bašták Ďurán: A two-energies turbulence scheme
Radmila Brožková: Shallow convection closure using mass-flux type approach
Mario Hrastinski: TKE-based mixing length in TOUCANS
Peter Smerkol: TOUCANS: Issues with computations in TOMs
Precipitations aspects (microphysics)
Bogdan Bochanek: Prognostic graupel in ALARO
Radmila Brožková, Ján Mašek: Cloudiness: status, unification attempts and perspectives
Luc Gerard: Cloud reunification in the CSD context
Deep convection: complementary subgrid drafts; stochastic components
Luc Gerard: Status overview of the CSD adaptive convection scheme
Martina Tudor: The quality of physiography data in clim files
Ján Mašek: New roughness treatment in ISBA scheme
Martin Dian: ALARO-1 with SURFEX - current status and plan
Ján Mašek(Rafiq Hamdi): ALARO-1 with SURFEX - some interfacing issues
Petra Smoliková: NH dynamics at high resolution - setup and results
Radmila Brožková: ALARO at high resolution - setup and results
Martin Belluš: Uncertainty simulation in ALADIN-LAEF
Geert Smet: ALARO performance in the prototype convection-permitting RMI-EPS
Michiel Van Ginderachter: A new methodology for physics perturbations
Pau Escriba: ALARO in the Spanish AEMET-gSREPS (video conference)
Piet Termonia: ALARO climate and the CORDEX.be project
Daan Degrauwe: ALARO experience in Belgium
Martina Tudor: ALARO experience in Croatia
Radmila Brožková: ALARO experience in Czech Republic
Piotr Sekula: ALARO experience in Poland
Maria Derková: ALARO experience in Slovakia
Neva Pristov: ALARO experience in Slovenia
Duygu Aktas: ALARO experience in Turkey
Annoucement (December 2018)
The purpose is to present ALARO-1 developments, plans, xchange experience and spread knowledge about the ALARO to a wider ALADIN/LACE/HIRLAM community.
About the scope of the working days:
- share the experience on ALARO-1vA|B validation, operational use
- present latest developments TOUCANS (shallow convection, mixing lenght), clouds, microphysics, ...
- link with SURFEX
- further validation, tuning and scope of ALARO-1
- moving to higher resolutions
- discuss about plans
Starting Monday (11 March) morning, closing Wednesday (13 March) around noon.
- introduction, an overview
- evaluation of ALARO-1vA|B (local experiences, reporting the current implementations, ...)
- physics-dynamics interface: redesign of physics interfaces
- coupling with SURFEX
- ALARO performance in climate simulations, EPS systems
- moving to higher resolutions,
- quality of physiography data in climat files
- ALARO-1 overview of current developments
- TOUCANS: shallow convection, mixing lenght computation
- radiation: a current state and prospects
- precipitations aspects (prognostic graupl)
- presentation of clouds
- deep convection: complementary subgrid drafts
- current status, open questions/problems
- recommended/possible resolutions, GCM tests, MUSC testbed, climate, load/benefits
- set-up of the next versions
- future issues (microphysics, ...)
Three parts will be roughly split over three days, with some flexibility.
Slovak Hydrometeorological Institute (SHMU), Jeseniova 17, Bratislava, Slovakia
We propose Hotel Tatra (Námestie 1.mája 5), that is directly connected with SHMU by public transport.
Discount price has been negotiated with the hotel: 65€ for double room, 59€ for single room including breakfast. Link for booking is https://www.secure-hotel-booking.com/smart/Hotel-Tatra/2QYD/, with a promo code "SHMU". There is no particular deadline for hotel booking - till they have rooms available.
In case of no suitable flight to Bratislava, the access via Vienna airport is commonly used. From the Schwechat airport there are regular and frequent buses to Bratislava available. More details including information on local public transport in Bratislava will be given in February.
Lunch will be organized in the SHMU canteen (3 options to choose) with the fixed price of 4 EUR/lunch, payable in cash on the spot. Contact local organizers (maria.derkova.AT.shmu.sk) for any special dietary requirements.
Please, confirm your participation to Maria (maria.derkova_at_shmu.sk) and Neva (neva.pristov_at_rzs-hm.si) before 20 February 2019.
Contact them for any question.